Friday, June 1, 2012

Rust Buster...

Like I've mentioned before, I'm on a budget. During the time I was dismantling my Hawkster, there were several keys parts that needed special attention. What I mean is... they had some surface rust that needed to be removed. So after countless hours on the internet trying to find the perfect product that will help save me on some Benjamin's. This is what I found...

 You can find this product for around $26 - $30 per gallon. They have smaller sizes as well.

The best part of this product is, its not some type of acid which can burn your skin. Instead, its non-corrosive and reusable... read label for more details. 

The first part that I experimented this product on was my chain. Replacing a chain can cost you more than $80. My chain is a DID 520 Racing chain, which normally cost between $110-130. This will surely save my empty pockets from going any deeper. 

 Before - The condition of my rusted chain... 

 After - Soaking in Evapo-Rust for one hour, rust is almost completely gone... 
I ended up soaking it for a few more hours.

Final - All oiled up and ready to be reinstalled. 

Overall, I've used this product on bolts, pipes and anything that has rust on it. I'm pretty happy with the results. So far the money I invested in Evapo-Rust has already saved me a bundle on my Hawkster project.

No comments:

Post a Comment