Thursday, May 31, 2012

Powerplant facelift...

With the frame nicely painted, I couldn't see myself putting back my oxidized weathered out looking engine back in my sick ass (meaning- awesome) frame that I just painted. So I decided to give it a facelift... that's right... FACELIFT! I'm once again going ghetto painting. 

I started off by taking all the parts of the engine that I didn't wanted to get painted. But low and behold... some badness surfaced and I had to deal with it first. 

This is not puddling you'd like to dip your finger in and have a taste... This gunk was sitting in my engine for the past 5 years... Not Good at All, if you ask me.







Can it be possible... its in my water pump too. 

Also, as you can see the engine is very filthy... so a needed blasting was the only way to go before painting.










Yummy... right! 

 Edson... Thanks for helping me out!








Conclusion... call up a friend (Edson M), who is one bad ass mechanic, told me what to do... did it and all is well... hopefully! I can only pray that it starts with no problems once I have everything re-assembled.  

To properly paint the engine, I have to invest in some new toy... I headed to a local store called Harbor Freight and purchased a Blaster Gun and some walnut media. I never used one before, and I must say... I love it! Blasted all the flaking paint off the engine...

 TIP: Cover all the holes up with tape or cloth that you don't want the media going into.
It can be a bitch to get out. Lucky, one of the guys on HawkGTForum.com advised everyone who wanted to go this route. Also, wear protect gear!

 No pictures blasting, but here are the results.

 Used the Rust-Oleum Semi Gloss Black Engine Paint
 Valve covers got a coat of red... Dupli-Color Red Engine Paint

Looks brand new again... Ha!

 




One side with valve cover












 Finished except for side covers... Stator and Clutch... Not yet sure what color to paint.

Maybe the next time around I can upgrade the engine...

No comments:

Post a Comment